Sunday 13 January 2013

It's all over for another year... and I talk a lot about myself...


Lakeside Darts Championships has just crowned Scott 'Scotty 2 Hotty' Waites as it's 2013 Champion.  All very exciting! I am a Lakeside Darts fan, just Lakeside. No other competition.

In the last week I  have been reading very fast and obsessing over (and eating) hummus. On my road to being healthier and eating less chocolate. To be honest I really overdosed on chocolate over Christmas and have temporarily  put myself off it.

Excessive book reading down to the fact thatI had book group and barely touched the book. We read 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' by Rachel Joyce.


'When Harold Fry nips out one morning to post a letter, leaving his wife hoovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other. He has no hiking boots or map, let alone a compass, waterproof or mobile phone. All he knows is that he must keep walking. To save someone else's life.'

Join Good Reads for AMAZING reviews and recommendations. See what other people,like myself, are reading and be filled with jealousy. I love it. 

Next month's book is 'The Glass Room': 


Cool. Balanced. Modern. The precisions of science, the wild variance of lust, the catharsis of confession and the fear of failure - these are things that happen in the Glass Room.
High on a Czechoslovak hill, the Landauer House shines as a wonder of steel and glass and onyx built specially for newlyweds Viktor and Liesel Landauer, a Jew married to a gentile. But the radiant honesty of 1930 that the house, with its unique Glass Room, seems to engender quickly tarnishes as the storm clouds of WW2 gather, and eventually the family must flee, accompanied by Viktor's lover and her child.
But the house's story is far from over, and as it passes from hand to hand, from Czech to Russian, both the best and the worst of the history of Eastern Europe becomes somehow embodied and perhaps emboldened within the beautiful and austere surfaces and planes so carefully designed, until events become full-circle.

I fear it will be boring. I  don't really do books that are set in eras older than the 70s. BUT isn't that the whole point of book group - to explore new reads.  I like dystopian novels, Enid Blyton and Japanese writers.  I am a book snob and not ashamed of it. 

I like Edgar Allan Poe too - Andrew (bro) bought me a bag, print and brooch of his lovely face for Christmas. 


I suffer terribly with epics, tomes and waffle so Edgar's stories are a delight to read. Not too long and just fabulous.  Being a Cat lover I particularly like the story of The Black Cat. I MUST WARN YOU - it is a distressing story but the cat gets revenge.  Do not read if you're easily upset. 

Speaking of cats, I was browsing Flipboard and came across this: 


AMAZING!!! How to make one HERE.

The reversible pillow is quite cute.

Anyone got those fabulous Penguin classics mugs? I have a couple and decided to buy the book to match one of them: 

 
Brilliant.

Anyway, I'm done talking about me.  What are you lot reading and I expect to see you on Good Reads asap.

ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment