Saturday 4 February 2012

Tupperware Parties - Where to be seen in the Seventies

I was rooting around in the roof space and came across a Tupperware Catalog. I am green with envy:


Nowadays it's all trashy Ann Summers parties and Botox parties - why not have something a little more practical. I, for one, obsess for retro and am amassing a vintage tupperware collection for whenever I get my own home.

Here are some of the fabulous offerings from Tupperware of the 70s:


Look at these new products, there is a pour and store (I have the one for oils/dressings), a blancmange  mould perhaps? NO! a 'Jel-A-Ring' - versatiile 1.5 litre ring mould with centre seal to turn out perfect jelly, mousse or rice (or blancmange).

Just fabulous. Sturdy, long lasting, hard wearing but not always dishwasher proof. They tend to warp, FYI.









Look at this!! Your problems all solved! A box to fit everything and anything. It is a little obsessive, I think, but how brilliant is that. I can guarantee that if I was a grown-up in the 70s my fridge, freezer AND cupboards would have looked like this.


Mum puts in an order. Look at the cost of that! Can you imagine buying such amazing items today at a good price? (Not taking inflation into account here).

The Crisp-it kept lettuce crisp and fresh with a special holder. Remember Iceberg lettuce was all the rage back then.

The Pitder? Paddle Saspah? - Paddle Scraper and Pitcher.

Nirvana, I tell you. I couldn't think of a better place to be than at a Tupperware Party. To finish off this wonderful post about the Tupperware Party Catalog, here is a recipe for some Party Cheese Balls by Zena Skinner, Television's 'captivating cook': (Anyone notice a resemblance to Frank Skinner here?)


Party Cheese Balls - to guarantee the best party ever. It's not vegetarian friendly but if you substitute the Worcester Sauce for a vegetarian one and make sure the cheese is vegetarian too then we can all rejoice and stuff our faces with Party Cheese Balls.

You can store them in a Seal-N-Serve.

3 comments:

  1. Tupperware is still going strong, and I'm sure all the stuff you bought back then is still going strong too. See www.tupperwareman.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just as a post script, the new Spring/Summer 2013 catalogue includes the return of the Jel-Ring! Just last weekend I used it at a party demonstration to make a Greek rice salad moulded rice ring.

    Here you go:
    http://tupperwareman.co.uk/products/e60-jel-ring-set

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I live in NZ and am writing a book and would love to use your photo of the catalogue as the book is about growing up in the 1960's but need your permission pretty please,lol.
    Thanks,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete